Bacon and Feta Cheese Mini Quiche Recipe
Since owning ducks, we have started to get eggs, finally! We always get at least 1 a day. And 2 a day every other day. You can tell the difference between who's laid too, as there's two different nests. One produces a white egg shell, while the other duck produces a greenish coloured egg shell.
We decided that we needed to use these duck eggs up. As we are sick of omelettes and poached eggs, I decided to make some mini quiches! I've never made them before, so it was a guessing situation.
Bacon and Feta Mini Quiche
200g plain flour
2 large ducks eggs (or any other large eggs)
1 tbsp dried chives
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 rashers of bacon
50g feta cheese
100g cheddar cheese
1. Rub all of the margarine and flour together, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
2. Add the water, gradually, whilst mixing the flour into the dough. You may need less water, or more water to form into a dough.
3. Dust the work surface with plain flour and roll out the dough until it's thin, around 2mm thick. Cut out circles into the dough (I used the muffin case lid as a guide).
4. Lightly grease the muffin tray. (I used muffin cases but they don't work as well!)
5. Place each circle into the muffin tray holes, so that they go up the sides
6. Cut up the bacon, and cook. Then place a few pieces into each base. Also crumble the feta cheese into each base.
7. Whisk the duck eggs with the milk, chives, salt and pepper.
8. Fill each base, but don't overfill it! Make sure the egg gets underneath the fillings too, or you'll get a gap between egg and base.
9. Grate and sprinkle on the cheddar cheese!
10. Bake for around 30 minutes (Or until it looks golden brown) at 200 degrees C!
Sadly, I didn't have a muffin tray, so used muffin cases. They worked okay, but a lot of them were misshaped. It's okay if you're not bothered about presentation. Also, I found that the paper cases stick to the base! So if you're making this, I'd advise a lightly greased muffin tray :)!
You can use any fillings you like! I chose bacon and feta as I had them to use up. I totally forgot to add a bit of onion!
I hope you enjoy this recipe :)
'till next time,