Doner meat fakeaway
I recently came across a recipe for doner meat! I've been craving a doner kebab for a while now, however I am on a "diet". This recipe is from some Slimming World folk, and tasted amazing. It smelled, and tasted like the real thing. I added some of my own ingredients too, and it is not slimming world friendly, unless you change the mince the lean and syn the flour.
It doesn't look like doner meat, but it tastes pretty good for a fakeaway!
500g Tesco Value lamb mince
1 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp celery powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1tsp Italian Herbs
1tbsp plain flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1. Mix all the herbs and seasoning together!
2. Put the lamb mince into a large bowl
3. Add the herbs a little bit at a time, whilst pounding and mashing the meat!
4. Pound and mix in the herbs well, make sure it's all smooth. It might get really sticky! This is where the flour comes in handy, sprinkle some of it on your hands and onto the meat. This also stops the meat from drying out too when in the oven.
5. Once it's all pounded and mixed together, shape the meat into a loaf shape and place in the oven at 180 degrees C for 1 hour 30 minutes!
6. Turn the meat half way through, so that it browns evenly. I placed mine on a piece of tin foil, to stop it from sticking to the baking tray.
7. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into the meat.
As you can see it looks a bit dry on the outside, but it's soft on the inside!
8. Cut the doner meat into thin slices! As thin as you can get it to resemble doner meat.
When you pound the meat, it's important to pound it as much as you can, to get rid of air pockets. I had an airpocket, and you can see the split in the meat. It's not a big problem if it's there though!
Serve it however you like! I served mine in a wrap, with salad, pickled cabbage, pickles, mint sauce and chilli mayo!