French Onion Soup Recipe!
Recently I visited Paris where I had the most tastiest French Onion soup! It was beautiful and I wanted to have a go at making it when back home.
Sadly, this isn't my own recipe, but one I used from BBC Good Food, link can be found here.
I changed a few things but most of it is the same.
I didn't have Gruyere cheese, so substituted with mozzarella.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1tbsp oil (I used sunflower)
5-6 medium white onions, halved and sliced thinly
1 tsp sugar
4 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp plain flour
250ml white whine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
3 beef knorr stock pots made to 1.3litres
8 slices of french bread
1. In a large pot, melt the butter
2. Once melted, add the sliced onions
3. Fry the onions for 3 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally so they don't burn
4. Add the sugar, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until caramelised. Be careful that they don't burn near the end of cooking.
5. Add the garlic 3 minutes before the onions finish cooking.
6. Sprinkle in the flour and stir well. Increase the heat then add the wine slowly.
7. Add all of the stock to the onions, cover and simmer for 60 minutes.
8. After 60 minutes, toast the french bread slices. Serve the soup into bowls. Place 2 slices of toasted bread on top of the soup, then layer with the slices of mozzarella. Grill for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
French Onion soup! Very easy.
It's obviously not as good as Paris! But it's still pretty damn fine.
I will used Gruyere next time, if I can find it :)!
'till next time,