Courgette Cornbread recipe
I stuck with the American theme this week, and also baked cornbread! I first tried cornbread at a Christmas staff party. My manager baked the most delicious courgette (zucchini) cornbread. I googled a recipe, and decided to give it a whirl.
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
3/4 cup fine cornmeal
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 medium eggs
1 large courgette
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
Melt the butter in a saucepan for around 3 minutes. Leave to cool.
2. Sift the plain flour, wholemeal flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda into a bowl.Mix in the cornflour.
4. Cut 3 thin slices of courgette and place aside for decoration.Grate the rest of the courgette into the liquid mixture.
5. Fold in the courgette mixture into the dry mixture. It will be quite thick, make sure you get all of the mix folded in there!
6. Place the mixture into a buttered bread tin, and place in the oven on the middle shelf for 65 minutes.
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack before slicing! Enjoy with some home made chilli or simply on it's own!
Next time I will add more seasoning. I found it to be quite bland. More sugar and more salt next time!!
'till next time,